Jebel Akhdar, The Green Mountain (10h)
- Important Info
Soak up the serene landscapes of one of Oman’s most scenic areas, Al Jebel Al Akhdar (The Green Mountain). Get acquainted with Omani natural wonders, traditional architecture, and rich culture.
At a Glance
- Explore Omani mountain villages
- Go to a traditional market and haggle with the local traders
- Walk through the fruit plantations of Jebel Akhdar
- See the stunning views from Diana Point named after the late Princess of Wales
What You Can Expect
On the way to Jebel Akhdar, visit Nizwa where you can roam the traditional souk and take photos of the round tower fort. Afterwards stop by Birkat al Mauz, an abandoned village, surrounded by date palm plantations and an ancient irrigation system called “Falaj” (UNESCO World Heritage Site).
Continue your exploration to Jebel Akhdar (the green mountain), whose name derives from the area being one of the most fertile in the country. Stroll through the fruit plantations growing apricots, pomegranates, peaches, grapes, almonds, walnuts and of course the roses that are used to make the popular Omani rose water. In spring, when the roses are in full bloom your visit to the rosewater factory is an even more special experience.
Stop at the Saiq Plateau to stand at Diana Point, this spot is named after the late Princess of Wales, who landed here in 1990 with a helicopter to marvel the extraordinary vista. Your guide will show you some beautiful traditional villages where you go for a walk. Reach Wadi Bani Habib, a deserted ruined mud village, which demonstrates how the local people lived until approximately 1960.
- Full day private tour
- Entrance fees (not including Nizwa Fort)
Operation Days: Daily
Duration: 10 hours
Departure Timings: 07:30 h
Meeting Point: Your hotel or accommodation in Muscat
Know Before You Go
- Private tour in a 4x4
- Before photographing any local residents, kindly ask their permission
- Photographing local ladies is not permitted
- Can stop for food at a local spot (meal is at your own expense)
- Lightweight summer clothing is suitable for most of the year, please dress conservatively
- Nizwa fort is only a photo stop, discuss with your guide if you wish to purchase an entry ticket on the day (at your own expense)
- If your tour is on a Friday, you may see the well known Nizwa cattle market
- Nizwa fort entrance tickets
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.