Grand Canyon (10h)
- Important Info
Embark on a full-day adventure exploring the sights on the way to the Mountain of the Sun (Jebel Shams) from Muscat.
At a Glance
- Marvel at the panoramic views Oman's Grand Canyon from Jebel Shams
- Visit one of Oman’s oldest villages
- Experience the exhilarating 4WD driving up the mountainous roads
- Dig into a specially prepared picnic lunch
- Explore lush terraced oases
What You Can Expect
Begin your journey to Oman’s Grand Canyon with a stop at Nizwa, roam the silver souk and take photos of the impressive fort. The tour continues with a walk through the village of Al Hamra. This old village was restored by the government to depict how Oman’s population once lived in previous centuries. You have the opportunity to admire the traditional three storey houses, some of which are several hundred years old.
To the west of Al Hamra lies the road winding up Jebel Shams, the mountain of the sun. It is the highest mountain of the Arabic world and reaches 3075 m above sea level. The drive to the peak is adventurous, you pass the old village of Ghul with its green terrace fields. The inhabitants of this wadi are known for their artistic weaving of goat hair rugs, the hand made blankets are in high demand in Oman. Some kilometers further reach the abyss of the Omani Grand Canyon. Enjoy the breathtaking views before you return to Muscat.
- Full day private tour
- Picnic lunch
- Entrance fees (not including Nizwa Fort)
Operation Days: Daily
Duration: 10 hours
Departure Timings: 07:30 h
Meeting Point: Your hotel or accommodation in Muscat
Know Before You Go
- Private tour in a 4x4
- A picnic lunch will be prepared for you to enjoy on your trip
- Before photographing any local residents, kindly ask their permission
- Photographing local ladies is not permitted
- Can stop for food at a local spot (meal is at your own expense)
- Lightweight summer clothing is suitable for most of the year, please dress conservatively
- Wear comfortable walking shoes
- Nizwa fort is only a photo stop, discuss with your guide if you wish to purchase an entry ticket on the day (at your own expense)
- If your tour is on a Friday, you may see the well known Nizwa cattle market
- Nizwa fort entrance tickets
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.